Lets be honest. Contouring always seemed liked a lot of effort didn’t it? I never fancied watching the YouTube videos, or studying diagrams of Kim Kardashian’s face. Whenever I did try it for myself, it looked as if my cheek bones were slightly wonky. Not a great look for me.
So, I am definitely embracing Strobing. I love that it gives a more natural look and doesn’t involve having to take off layers of make up after. Because of my oily skin, I use a lot of mattifying products so it’s nice to add back a bit of a glow. Strobing is essentially highlighting, targeting areas where the sun would hit your face more i.e. under the brows, bridge of the nose and cheekbones. Where contouring meant creating shadows, Strobing focuses on the light.
Rather than using a bronzer when with highlighter, I like to add some colour with a dark-rosey pink blush. Although at the moment I still have a trace of holiday tan, usually my skin is quite pale. I tend to go for a pink/lilac highlighter. But when I have a tan, I like a more gold-based highlighter. My favourites are the liquid based highlighters, but if I’m wearing BB/CC cream or tinted moisturiser I tend to stick to a powder instead. Either way I’m so into the dewy look, my essentials…:
1. St Tropez Violet Skin – I really love the violet shade of this product (it comes in other colours too). The colour is long lasting, and was my go-to product on holiday.
2. Nars Illuminator in Copacabana – This lasts for ages – you only need a little bit at a time. The gold colour (Laguna) is next on my list.
3. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick – Perfect holiday bronzer, but also gives a nice glow without too much glitter. The different shades mean you can chose whether you want more of a pink or bronzed glow. One of my make up bag staples.
4. Collection 2000 Shimmer Shades – One of my favourite budget make up buys, which gives a nice shimmering effect. You can use each shade individually too. One of my favourites for daytime.
5. Benefit Watt’s Up! – I’ve only recently started using this one, mainly because it had such great reviews and I’m a big fan of Benefit blushers/bronzers. I like the cream to powder finish, which works well on its own or with foundation underneath.
6. NARS Blush – For me, this is the holy grail of blushers and works nicely with the pink, champagne colour highlighters. Worth having in a couple of shades (I like Torrid, Oasis and Orgasm.)